Sunday, January 10, 2010

I'm The Gosh Darned Batman




Batman: Arkham Asylum, great game, or greatest game? Well I don't know about greatest, but it's probably in my top ten. They nailed almost everything in that game, and the few complaints I had, (Terrible boss fights, being the biggest one) paled in comparison to how good the game is.

I had mile-high expectations for this game, and I was still blown away. Not only is the gameplay good, this is one of the few games to nail multiple aspects right (Beat-em-up, stealth, detective work...) but the atmosphere was really solid, and they redesigned many characters, to really make the game unlike any other form of Batman we've seen. It's still Batman, but they really made it their own, and I'm glad they didn't try to make "The Dark Knight: The Video Game" because that would have sucked.

And let me just say this: The Joker in B:AA, is as good, if not better, than Heath Ledgers. Say what you will about Luke Skywalker being the performance of a life-time (a rant for another day.) Mark Hamil gave the performance of a lifetime as The Joker in both TAS, and this. He's a different Joker, but an amazingly good Joker.

Not only that, but his plot was surprisingly good. Without getting too spoilery: He has a Plot, disguised by a cover-plot, and a backup-plot in case the plot, and cover-plot fail. That's 3 layers of plots.

So, in short, B:AA, is amazing. If you haven't played it yet, do.

No comments:

Post a Comment