Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Glee Review - Dream On (For Real This Time!)



Alright, you caught me. The review last night was not a review of the actual episode. It was more a review of the episode I desperately wanted to be made.

No, in truth, this was not an actual Dr. Horrible/Glee crossover event, which for the record I still maintain would be the single greatest hour of television ever to air. No, it was just another episode. Although it did guest star Neil Patrick Harris, and was directed by Joss Whedon. Everything I wrote about Joss Whedon, from Buffy to Toy Story was true. The man is a legend.

But, sadly, Neil Patrick Harris was not revising his role as Billy. They're still saving that for the sequel I'm afraid. No, instead he played the awesomely named "Bryan Ryan". A rival of Will's during his High School days. Bryan was a star in the Glee club, and once he graduated, made it big. Unfortunately, it was not to last, and his career as a star came crashing down. Today he's a cold, bitter person who just happens to be in charge of the budget for the school's clubs.

Now, while it wasn't anywhere near what I claimed it to be like in my previous review, Joss Whedon's darker style was clearly felt during this episode. Bryan spends most of the episode trying to crush the dreams of the kids in Glee, and succeeding. But I really loved the storyline featuring Artie and Tina. Artie's dream is to be a dancer. A problem since he's stuck in a wheelchair.

Meanwhile Rachael and Jesse try to uncover who Rachael's mom is, since it's always been a dream of hers to meet her mom. I do find it kind of funny that Joss Whedon still managed to put in a MAJOR plot twist (that my mom actually called several weeks ago.) in his episode. I'm not saying what it is, but it's a good one.

Now, while it wasn't the turning point in history for all of humanity, it was a really good episode. Probably the best episode Glee has had so far. I really like Artie, and I've thought he was one of the only likable characters on the show every time he's been given screen time over Rachael, Puck, or Finn, but unfortunately those moments have been few and far between. I liked that this focused on one of the more minor characters, even if the end was a bit sad.

All in all, what I took away from the episode was simple:
They should really hire Joss Whedon to direct this show full time.

(P.S. I loved the cover of Safety Dance, but only because I think of that as the Heigan Song.)

No comments:

Post a Comment