Friday, May 21, 2010

Why Yes, I Am A Geek, Why Do You Ask?

I've also mentioned my love of video games, MANY times before. You know what else I love? Music. I know, shocker, I like music. You know what else I love though? video game music. As in, the OST (Original Sound Track) to games. I actually own a couple of them.

This is the point where several of you start laughing, but I'm serious. There are some brilliant OSTs out there. I personally own one that I'm quite fond of called "Zelda: The Music" which is comprised of songs from every Zelda game made up to the point it was released. (No Phantom Hourglass, Twilight Princess, or Spirit Tracks songs I'm afraid.)

Now, I know a lot of you are skeptical of this, so I'm going to point out a few pieces that are just brilliant.

Take for first, a few of the pieces off of the "Wind Waker" OST.

For example, this piece called "The Legendary Hero" is played at the start of the game, when the story is being laid out.



Notice the darker tone it takes toward the middle. The scene playing over this was a sort of recap of the events of the game set before this Ocarina of Time. At the point it gets sadder though, you find out that after the events of OOT, the villain returned, and the hero did not save the kingdom. It's explained that the goddesses sunk the entire kingdom, thus creating one of the most interesting setups for a game. The Great Sea.

This brings me to the Wind Waker Theme.



The use of the flute creates the entire feel for the game. This theme is more strongly linked to a game than possibly any other theme has been linked to any game, ever. Wind Waker reminds me of this theme, this theme reminds me of Wind Waker.

I'd also like to submit to you a video called "Wind Waker Unplugged" made by Freddie Gredde.



But then again, Zelda has always had major links with music, even in the gameplay. Ocarina of Time, considered by many to be the greatest game of all time, revolved around an Ocarina which is a type of flute. What about other games? There are still a lot of great OSTs out there for other games.



The Professor Layton Series has great music. Really superb music, especially for a handheld game. The music really sets the theme for the game.



The Wrath of the Lich King OST (Which I own a copy of that came with my Collector's Edition) is pretty darn good too.

The point of this post is just to say that video game music has come a LONG way from the days of Mario Brothers, and video game music can in fact, be good.

Let me finish with a video game song that's very very popular, and a personal favorite song of mine.

1 comment:

  1. Wait a second. You're into video games? This is COMPLETELY NEW INFORMATION.

    ReplyDelete