Tuesday, July 31, 2012

A Story From My Time With "Amnesia: The Dark Descent"

Amnesia: The Dark Descent is a scary game. I don't know if it's quite as scary as some of the reaction videos would have you believe, but it's pretty darn scary (Strong language, but hilarity, behind that link). I've been slowly slogging my way through it, because I hate myself I guess, but I had an experience that I thought I would share. I was only about an hour and a half to two hours into the game when it happened, but if you really want to go into the game totally spoiler free (and I'll be very vague with specifics either way) you may not want to read any further on.

I stood in Castle Brannenburg, my heart beating. I knew only that I needed to get a key to progress further. I stood in a small room, one that I knew contained the key somewhere. As this was Amnesia, my heart was pumping, and I was trying to get the key, and get out of the small cramped room. I ran through the door to the room, and saw some drawers, and two standalone closest. As I trembled through the room, I threw open the drawers, knocking several to the floor in my haste. No key. I searched around the drawers, under them, and finally decided to check one of the closets. As I threw open the doors, I heard the door to the adjacent room suddenly, and, after my heart skipped a beat, I threw the contents of the closet to the ground, and jumped in, as it was the only place to hide.

I heard the beast enter the room. As I heard its agonizing groans, I sat, still and silent, in the closet. Petrified to even breathe, though rationally I knew it would have no impact. Its footsteps were my only hint as to the location of the corporeal death which sat outside the thin wooden doors.

Step. Step. Step. I heard it walk to the dresser, and knock some of what sat on it to the ground.

Step. Step. Step. It walked to the other closet. Crunch. It tore it open. I held my breath.

Step. Step. Step.
 It walked to a painting on the wall. Whack. It knocked the painting off.

After this came a long silence, during which I dared not even move. It was still there, it had to be. But where was it? My heart was beating like a drum.

Finally, after what felt like ages, I heard it again. Step. Step. Step. It was headed toward the door. It was leaving. It had to be. Just a moment more.

Step. Step. Step. It was still by the door.

Step. Step. Step. Something was wrong. It wasn't getting any further away. Why wasn't it getting further away?

Step. Step. Step. Step. Step. Step. Step. Step. Step. Step. Step. Step.

Had I done something wrong? Was the creature never to leave? Was hiding in this closet a mistake, one which the game would punish me by forcing me to meet my own fate of my own volition? Surely I couldn't wait here much longer, the insanity would cripple me before too long, making sure I had no way of escaping.

Step. Step. Step. I finally built up the courage to peek out of my safe, dark corner. I had decided to make a break for it if I could. I grabbed the door, and pushed it open just a crack.

The creature had bugged out and gotten stuck on one of the drawers I threw to the ground. 

I crept out of the closet, pulled the drawer out from under it's feet, and it ran to the door without giving me a second look. Mood ruined. I hit save and quit.

And that's the story of quite possibly the funniest moment anyone has had while playing Amnesia.

No comments:

Post a Comment